Protected Area Management Specialist for the FPRD project
April 2000 – April 2002
Royal Haskoning, the Netherlands
Protected Area Management Specialist
Forest Protection and Rural Development(FPRD)
Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD
World Bank, Royal Netherlands Govenrment
Advisor to the Management Board of Chu Mom Ray National Park, Kon Tum province. Tasks included:
- Support in selected management issues.
- Leading a multi-disciplinary management planning team.
- Guiding international advisors’ input.
- Guiding the development of and co-writing the revision of the management plan for CMRNR. This included field work in the buffer zone, specifically to identify, study and designate two areas with high biodiversity for special management attention.
- Design of a computer database for storage and analysis to monitor management plan implementation on basis of indicators of the logical framework.
- Critical review of non-timber forest products (NTFP) extraction and usage, identification of NTFP sub-zone for NTFP extraction.
- Identification of alternative livelihood options.
- Cooperation with community development component to determine best land-use, establish community participation and identify environmental criteria for socio-economic development and agricultural practices in support of protected area management.
- Identification and description of package tours, location and development of tourist and recreation areas; formulation of logistics and package tour activities and attractions
- Workshop to present the management plan revision to provincial and district authorities.
- Training needs assessment for directorate, forest guards, technical and administrative staff.
- Design for a tree identification training database.