Parks Planner for the NIPAP program
January 1998 – December 1999
Agriconsulting SpA, Italy
National Integrated Protected Area Program
Protected Areas and Wildlife Bureau of Department of Environment and Natural Resources (PAWB)
NIPAP aimed to improve management of eight protected areas throughout the Philippines. As advisor to PAWB, I drafted strategic management frameworks and collected data for general management plans. More specifically, I guided a multi-stakeholder planning group in park management planning, and liaised with key NGOs in strategic planning. Other tasks included (non-exhaustive):
- Identification of land use inside the protected area (in intensive and sustainable use zones) supporting protected area management.
- Identification of alternative livelihood opportunities.
- Identification and formulation of roles of communities, specifically of ethnic minority groups, in buffer zone and protected area management.
- Participation in drafting and implementing willingness-to-pay surveys for usage of natural resources, focusing on water use and eco-tourism use. Identification of suitable tourism sites, site development and attractions.
- Organizing and conducting a multi-stakeholder workshop for management plan strategy development.
- Support to information and education campaigns (IEC).